The fall semester begins Aug. 22. If you were away from campus this summer, here's a quick summary of what you missed:
- The state Board of Regents approved 3.1% salary increases for all eligible employees whose performance meets expectations. The increase took effect July 1.
- Phase 2 of the P&S classification and compensation review moved more than 170 employees to a new pay grade.
- Regents approved a 4.25% tuition increase for the 2022-23 academic year.
- Tuition increase bolsters FY23 operating budget.
- Nine projects will jump-start the next strategic plan.
- A new ISU website and employee portal launched.
- New benefit provides financial help to ISU employees who adopt a child.
- ISU faculty, staff and postdocs have access to a personal loan to help with unexpected financial situations.
- Iowa State attracted a record $601.7 million in total external funding for the 2022 fiscal year. It's the first time Iowa State's external funding total has exceeded $600 million.
- One of ISU's iconic swans died in June.
- Summer enrollment topped 8,400, down about 7% from a year ago.
- ISU received approval for its 30-year strategic facilities plan from the state Board of Regents.
- Senior vice president for operations and finance Pam Cain will retire in September.
- Vice president of ISU Extension and Outreach John Lawrence will retire next spring.
- Executive director of student financial aid Roberta Johnson will retire next summer.
- Bill Graves, reappointed to a second five-year term as Graduate College dean
- Scott Johnson, to associate dean for research and academic personnel in the Ivy College of Business
- Dr. Paul Plummer, to associate dean of research and graduate studies in the College of Veterinary Medicine
- Dr. Jessica Ward, to assistant dean of academic and student affairs in the College of Veterinary Medicine
- Eileen Canafax, to director of the Child Development Laboratory School
- Susan Harper, to director of the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success
- Haley Moon, to assistant director of federal relations
- Chad Olson, to director of student financial aid operations
- Paul Richmond, to assistant vice president for environmental health and safety
- Matthew Sivils, to director of the Center for Excellence in Arts and Humanities for a three-year term
- Carl Wells, to director of equal opportunity and Title IX coordinator
- Leana Bouffard, reappointed to a second five-year term as chair of the sociology and criminal justice department
- Paul Bruski, to chair of the graphic design department
- Sarah Francis, to the Jane Armstrong Endowed Chair of Food Science and Human Nutrition
- Mark Hargrove, to a five-year term as chair of the Roy J. Carver department of biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology
- Caroline Hayes, reappointed to a third five-year term as chair of the mechanical engineering department
- William Jenks, reappointed to a two-year term as chair of chemistry department
- Lorraine Lanningham-Foster, to chair of the department of food science and human nutrition
- Jason Ross, to chair of animal science department
- Kevin Scheibe, reappointed as chair of information systems and business analytics
- Deidra Schleicher, reappointed as chair of management and entrepreneurship
- Alex Tuckness, to chair of political science department
- Eric Weber, to a five-year term as chair of mathematics
- Steve Kohtz, to recycling and special events coordinator
- Michael Bailey, to interim chair of the department of world languages and cultures
- Lynn Clark, reappointed to a two-year term as interim chair of the ecology, evolution and organismal biology
- Ana Luz, to interim director of innovation programming at Student Innovation Center
- Heather Paris, to interim senior vice president for operations and finance, effective Sept. 7
- Dr. Chris Rademacher, to interim director of the Iowa Pork Industry Center
- Sharon Wohl, to interim associate dean for faculty in the College of Design