What you should know about workers' compensation

By all accounts, it was a rough winter. The snow, ice and wind were unrelenting, which may explain the uptick in the number of workers' compensation claims from slip and fall injuries here and across the state. Fortunately, warmer weather is creeping back, but accidents can happen any time of year.

Julie Nuter, associate vice president for university human resources (UHR), said it's important for employees to understand the claims process.

"First and foremost, injuries are serious matters," she said. "We want employees to be informed and take action."

Following are the steps employees should take in the event of a workplace accident or illness.

File a report

All merit, professional and scientific, faculty and student employees must complete a first-report-of-injury form, available on AccessPlus (select "Employee" then "Work Injury"), within 24 hours following a workplace incident, even if no medical treatment is required.

More questions?

For more information about workers’ compensation, call UHR at 4-8917 or visit the FAQ on the UHR website.

Employees who sustain non-life threatening injuries or illnesses while on the job should contact their supervisors right away; employees who need emergency assistance should seek medical treatment immediately. Medical care for non-life threatening injuries or illnesses can be arranged with Occupational Medicine at McFarland Clinic in Ames, 239-4496. Staff at ISU occupational medicine, G11 Technical and Administrative Services Facility (TASF), can treat minor work-related injuries or conditions that require only first aid. Employees located off campus and outside Ames can find a list of local workers’ compensation providers on the UHR website.

What happens next?

Sedgwick Claims Management, Iowa State's third-party workers' compensation administrator, determines which claims are covered under Iowa law. Once a claim is filed, a Sedgwick claims examiner works with the employee throughout the process.

Nuter noted that Sedgwick closely analyzes claims to determine acceptance or denial. Employees or supervisors with questions about this process should contact UHR's employee and labor relations staff at 4-8917 for more information.