The city of Ames will remove and reconstruct Sheldon Avenue along the west side of campus, beginning Monday, April 7. The project includes the section of Sheldon from Lincoln Way to Hyland Avenue (Sheldon veers west behind Iowa State's biorenewables complex). It does not include the Sheldon Avenue extension behind the College of Design.
The work requires road closure and will be completed in four stages, some of which may overlap depending on weather and progress made. Here's an estimated timeline:
- Lincoln Way to Union Drive, April 7-May 31
- Union Drive intersection, work won't begin before June 2
- Union Drive to west side of Howe Hall, TBA
- West side of Howe Hall to Hyland Avenue, work won't begin before May 12
Parking lot access
The road reconstruction work will close Sheldon Avenue driveways to university parking lots during at least two of the stages. Most of the affected lots (1, 59A, 2 and 3) have a second access that drivers may use. For users of lot 7 (west of the Thielen Student Health Center), a temporary driveway will be created on West Street to keep the lot open.
University road projects
Iowa State will coordinate its own group of road reconstruction projects this summer. Construction dates are not finalized yet for these projects:
- State Avenue (near cross country course): between Mortensen Road and Highway 30 bridge. Work is anticipated to occur during May/June and will require lane closures.
- Christensen Drive (Vet Med campus): between parking lots 93 and 96. Construction window is May 18-Aug. 1. The work will require full closure of the drive and be completed in two stages to maintain access to parking lots 96, 96A.
- Stotts Road (north-south artery in Schilletter-University Village): between Blankenburg and Edenburn drives. Construction window is June 2-Aug. 1. The work will require full closure of the road.
Crews also will seal cracks and joints on numerous campus roads from mid-May to Aug. 1. Watch for temporary lane closures this summer on: 13th Street; Stange, Beach, Wallace and Bissell roads; Union Drive; South Fourth and South 16th streets.