Find ISU students and alumni at the Des Moines Arts Festival, June 22-24
The 15th Des Moines Arts Festival this weekend will include the work of several Iowa State students or recent graduates.
Amateur or "emerging" artists are Iowa residents currently enrolled in or recently graduated from universities, colleges and art schools across the country. There are 22 Emerging Iowa Artists in this year's festival, including six Iowa Staters:
- Anna Blake, West Des Moines; ISU Bachelor of Fine Arts in integrated studio arts, 2011
- Heather Davis, Ames; graduate student in integrated visual arts
- Patrick Doubet, Mount Vernon; BFA in integrated studio arts, 2010
- Elizabeth Mason, Ames; BFA in integrated studio arts, 2010
- Dan Neubauer, Ames; graduate student in industrial design; BFA in integrated studio arts, 2011
- Dennis Portz, Ames; BS and MS in horticulture, 2004, 2008
Two other College of Design alumni -- Chris Vance of Bondurant (paintings) and Christian Vandehaar of Altoona (pastel drawings) -- are among the 185 professional artists selected to participate this summer. Vance graduated from Iowa State in 2000 and Vandehaar in 2009.
Both artists were award winners at last year's festival. Vance won a Juror Award in the professional category and Vandehaar won Best of Show in the emerging artists program.
The Des Moines Arts Festival is held in Western Gateway Park in downtown Des Moines. Hours are Friday 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.-10 p.m., and Sunday 10 a.m.-5 p.m. In addition to art work in 14 media this year, the festival features continuous live performances on three stages and local food vendors.