Honors and awards
Maier receives Sukup Global Food Security award
In its annual meeting, held virtually in July, the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers presented the 2020 Sukup Global Food Security award to Dirk Maier, a professor of agricultural and biosystems engineering. The award recognizes distinguished contributions to global food security through research, outreach and teaching. Maier leads an internationally recognized research and outreach program in post-harvest engineering and technology applied to grain and feed operations and processing. He also leads international outreach of the Iowa Grain Quality Initiative, which focuses on enhancing the market preference, consumption and utilization of Iowa and U.S. corn, soybeans and their value-added products for the global grain and feed industry.
Estes named to opera hall of fame's first class
Simon Estes, the F. Wendell Miller Distinguished Artist-in-Residence in the music and theatre department, is one of 10 honorees in the inaugural class of Opera America's Opera Hall of Fame. The hall of fame recognizes the achievements of outstanding living American artists, administrators and advocates who have strengthened the art form and the field. It was established in 2020 to celebrate Opera America's 50th anniversary.
Learning Communities program recognizes 2020 awardwinners
Awards honoring individuals and teams for their extraordinary contributions to learning communities at Iowa State were presented at the annual Learning Communities Institute. This year's winners:
- Stacey Barnes, Learning Community Scholarship Award
- Autumn Cartagena, Outstanding Innovations Award
- Clark Coffman, Learning Community Scholarship Award
- Martino Harmon, Corly Brooke Learning Community Advocate Award
- Clayton Johnson, Early Achievement in Learning Community Coordination
- Mary Jo Krakau, Learning Community Partner Award
- Matt Pistilli, Learning Community Collaborator Award
- Shawna Saad, Learning Community Champion Award
- Katie Shields, Early Achievement in Learning Community Coordination
- Learning Community years of service honorees: Janessa Boley, Jennifer Bundy, Clark Coffman, Alicia Edwards, Michale Hansen, Clayton Johnson, Carly Miller, Samantha Robinson-Adams, Kenyatta Shamburger, Ben Chamberlain, Shannon Grundmeier, Beth Hartmann, Christiana Langenberg, Karen Scheel, Howard Tyler, Tom Daniels, Mary Wiedenhoeft, Lora Leigh Chrystal, Mani Mina
Procurement services receives national excellence award
Procurement services earned the 2020 Achievement of Excellence in Procurement award from the National Procurement Institute. The award's criteria evolve continuously and measure and provide benchmarks for best practices in public procurement in areas such as innovation, professionalism, e-procurement, productivity and leadership. Iowa State is the only agency in the state and one of just 15 higher education organizations in the U.S. to receive the award. Other recipients include counties, cities and school districts.