Thirteen individuals or entrepreneurial teams received awards during an Aug. 18 awards ceremony that concluded "The Great Iowa State Pitch Off: STANDING InnOVATION," the centerpiece of the university's Iowa State Fair exhibit.
Continuum Ag was named "best of show" following a two-round competition that launched with 112 pitches -- involving more than 150 participants -- presented during the first eight days of the fair. The pitchers represented all colleges, ISU Extension and Outreach and the university's alumni community. On Aug. 16-17, the 56 winners of those head-to-head contests pitched again to a panel of judges, who selected the winners. President Wendy Wintersteen and senior vice president and provost Jonathan Wickert presented the awards Sunday afternoon at the university's exhibit.
The Washington, Iowa-based Continuum Ag, a consulting company that uses data to provide farmers with real-time soil health recommendations, received a $5,000 top prize. It was founded by Mitch Hora, a 2017 alumnus (agronomy and agricultural systems technology). His brother, David Hora, a freshman studying agronomy at Iowa State, works for Continuum Ag.
In addition to the Horas' honor, seven individuals or teams received $2,500 awards and four more received $1,000 honorable mention awards. Additionally, one winner was selected from the "Pitch Me ISU" 60-second video-based contest -- an opportunity for undergraduates to share their world-changing idea if time and money were no issue.
- $5,000 Best of Show: Continuum Ag, alumnus Mitch Hora and freshman David Hora, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- $2,500 Youth Entrepreneur Award: Civil Discourse for Teens training, Owynn McNutt, Charlize DeArmond and Nicholas Stocks, Iowa 4-H members
- $2,500 Community Entrepreneur Award: New Day Dairy bed and breakfast, Clarksville, alumna Lynn Bolin, Ivy College of Business
- $2,500 Applied Technology and Innovation Award: Haber Technologies, alumnus Eric Harweger and graduate student Dillon Hurd, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- $2,500 Applied Technology and Innovation Award: CattleTEC, graduate student Alex Irlbeck, College of Engineering, and 2019 CyStarter
- $2,500 Civic/Social Entrepreneurship Award: Belange Handmade LLC, senior Belange Mutunda, College of Human Sciences
- $2,500 Cutting Edge Innovation: NXGenCare, Andrew Guillamette, ISU Startup Factory
- $2,500 Iowa Entrepreneur Award: Deadeye BBQ sauce, alumnus Michael Hanstad, Ivy College of Business and 2018 CyStarter (awards funded by the Ivy College of Business)
- $1,000 Pitch Me ISU Award (video pitch): Comic Sandwiches (shield and prop replicas), senior Grayson Burgess, College of Engineering, and 2019 CyStarter (award funded by President Wendy Wintersteen)
- $1,000 Honorable mention: Jensen Applied Sciences, junior Dillon Jensen, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and 2019 CyStarter
- $1,000 Honorable mention: Lunchsox, graduate student Rebecca Lyons, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, and 2018 CyStarter
- $1,000 Honorable mention: The Modern Milkman, junior Lauren Jones, Ivy College of Business, and 2019 CyStarter
- $1,000 Honorable mention: Process Partners, graduate student Courtney Middelkoop, College of Engineering (awards funded by the Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship)