Freshman orientation is about 60 percent complete as of today (June 18), with eight more groups yet to complete the 1.5-day experience by July 1.
New student programs director Liz Kurt said the month is going well, save for one thing. "We could use a little less rain!"
Similar to recent years, Kurt said it's apparent that some participants have not selected their school yet and are attending more than one university orientation this summer.
Despite the weather and the all-hands-on-deck demands of orientation, Kurt said it's been a strong two weeks.
"The university community deserves some pats on the back," she added.
Following are a few comments from both incoming freshmen and family members on orientation evaluation forms:
- "I was really impressed with the entire operation. Well organized and well executed. Made me feel proud to be an Iowa Stater [electrical engineering, 1960]. This fall, I will have three grandsons at Iowa State and a fourth next fall."
- "Very impressed [with] how ISU has made a huge university seem doable to the average Iowa kid. It appears smaller than it is. Although still nervous for classes of 400."
- "Kudos to you all. This was by far the best orientation program that our family has attended. Our children have graduated or attended Iowa, Northern Iowa and University of Dubuque."
- "ISU really goes above and beyond! Everyone is friendly and helpful."
- "Getting students a college education is the number one goal of this university."
- "I really enjoyed orientation and am looking forward to being a student. Thanks!"
- "You guys did an awesome job of making me excited to be a Cyclone!"
More comments from orientation-goers are captured daily on the Orientation Tagboard site.