This year marks the 100th anniversary of organized theater at Iowa State. In 1914, associate professor of public speaking Fredrica Shattuck recruited interested students and formed the Iowa State Players.
As part of the celebration, a gala performance will be held on Saturday, Nov. 15 (7:30 p.m., Fisher Theater). It will feature monologues, play scenes, singing and dancing by alumni, students, faculty and staff. Michael Dahlstrom, associate professor in the Greenlee School of Journalism, will serve as master of ceremonies. A reception will follow.
Admission is free, but seating is reserved. Reservations can be made by phone (294-2624), email, or in person at 2130 Pearson Hall. Tickets also are available at the door.
Gala performers who are ISU graduates and former student performers include:
- Kelly Bartlett, professional ballroom dancer and owner of the Dance Tonight dance school, Fort Wayne, Ind.
- Tim Davis, professional actor and producer
- Brendan Dunphy, research associate in the entomology department and professional actor
- Frank Ferguson, chairman of Curriculum Associates, Boston, a publisher of K-8 educational materials
- Tony Forsmark, professional actor
- Phil Henry, actor and scenic designer with Six Elements Theatre, St. Paul, Minn.
- Gary Roberts, retired speech, drama and English teacher at North Polk High School
- Scott Siepker, professional actor and adjunct professor of acting at Drake University, Des Moines
- Christopher Michael Sutch, English teacher at Marshalltown High School
Faculty and staff performers include:
- Doris Nash, costume shop supervisor
- Jane Cox, professor of music and theatre
- Brad Dell, assistant professor of music and theatre
- Amanda Petefish-Schrag, assistant professor of music and theatre
About a dozen current ISU Theatre students also are scheduled to perform. All scheduled performances are posted online.
The 100th anniversary celebration also will include a series of presentations about life in the theater on Saturday, Nov. 15 (10 a.m.-3 p.m., MU Maintenance Shop). Admission is free; registration is not needed. Panel presenters include:
- 10-11 a.m., Jim Lile, ISU Theatre alum and technical director/assistant professor at Florida State University
- 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., ISU Theatre alums Tony Forsmark, professional actor; and Jack Meggers, professional film marker
- 12:30-1:30 p.m., Kelly Bartlett, ISU Theatre alum, 2002 Irene Ryan Acting Scholarship recipient and professional ballroom dancer
- 1:30-3 p.m., Carole Horowitz, former ISU Theatre marketing manager and community arts activist; and ISU Theatre director Jane Cox