Honors and awards
Clark honored by Wildlife Society
William Clark, professor emeritus in ecology, evolution and organismal biology, received the Iowa Conservation Hall of Fame Award this month from the Iowa chapter of The Wildlife Society. Clark was honored for his significant contributions to wildlife conservation in Iowa and his commitment to the wildlife profession.
Hu selected as ASME Fellow
Hui Hu, professor in aerospace engineering, was named a 2015 American Society for Mechanical Engineers fellow. With a technical background in experimental aerodynamics, fluid dynamics and heat transfer, Hu has applied his knowledge across the fields of wind energy, aircraft icing and anti-icing/de-icing technology, thermal management of gas turbines, unsteady aerodynamics and microfluidics. ASME fellows serve as a resource for technical professionals and create solutions that benefit humankind.
2014 CYtation Award winners
The following professional and scientific staff members are recipients of the 2014 CYtation Awards, which recognizes individuals who perform above and beyond the call of duty, do something extraordinarily well, or act in such a way as to make a very real difference in the institution:
- Abigail Andrews, administrative specialist, computer science
- Miles Aronnax, systems analyst, liberal arts & science administration
- Bethany Burdt, program coordinator, human development & family studies
- Ciaran Bowe, auditor, internal audit
- Megan Heitmann, program assistant, vice president for research
- Michelle Lenkaitis, administrative specialist, materials science and engineering
- Deborah Martinez, program assistant, business
- Melissa Miller, program coordinator, vice president for research
- Danielle Mitchell, program assistant, graduate college
- Stacy Renfro, program assistant, center for biorenewable chemicals
- Jennifer Schroeder, program coordinator, student financial aid
- Rebecca Staedtler, business manager, bioeconomy institute
- Douglas Stephens, systems support specialist, USDOE Ames Laboratory
- Lindsey Wanderscheid, engineer, facilities planning and management
The inaugural Woodin Award was presented to Anita Rollins, program coordinator in the School of Education. The award recognizes exemplary service, positive attitude, leadership, innovation and initiative. It is named for long-time council member and ISU employee Dan Woodin, who died in 2013.
Team awards went to the AAALAC accreditation team (chaired by Mary Sauer) and the LGBTQA+ Faculty and Staff Association (chaired by Nicci Port).
Junco is faculty tutor in Oxford summer program
Rey Junco, associate professor of education, was selected as a faculty tutor for the Oxford (University) Internet Institute's 2015 Summer Doctoral Programme (July 6-17). Faculty tutors provide advice and support for students’ doctoral thesis research. Junco studies how technology use affects college students. He is one of 14 faculty selected for the summer program.
Kumar elected IEEE Control Systems Society Distinguished Lecturer
Ratnesh Kumar, professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Iowa State, was elected a Distinguished Lecturer for the Control Systems Society of the IEEE. Kumar is one of 12 IEEE CSS Distinguished Lecturers, selected by a team of distinguished leaders of the discipline. Kumar will hold this position for next three years and will deliver invited seminars at campuses in United States and around the world.