Five questions about the free counseling option for employees

In fall 2020, the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), part of Iowa State's benefits package, began providing on-campus counseling sessions for employees on Wednesdays. Last month, in response to a growing demand, the current counselor, Katie Smith, added Thursdays to her on-campus schedule.

Counseling sessions are free to benefits-eligible faculty and staff and their immediate family members. An appointment is required; call 800-327-4692 to schedule one.

Woman wearing glasses and green jacket

Photo by Christopher Gannon.

Meet:

Katie Smith, Licensed Master Social Worker
On campus: Wednesdays and Thursdays 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Where: Accessible, first-floor office on the north side of campus
Education: B.A. in Liberal Studies (focus in psychology), Arizona State University; Master of Social Work, University of Iowa, Des Moines

What can counseling help me with?

Smith: My job is to help you reach your goals about anything in your life that's causing distress. Some examples might be relationships that need improvement, trauma, stress and anxiety, self-esteem, anger management, grief and loss. I strive to provide a compassionate, unbiased environment so you feel supported and comfortable sharing. I help you problem-solve by identifying coping skills and finding helpful resources. During counseling sessions, if it's clear you'd benefit from a specific type of therapy, I would refer you to a therapist who's a good fit for your needs. I'm not a substitute for therapy.

How would I get started?

Smith: Call the EAP number, 800-327-4692, and indicate you're an Iowa State University employee. The counselor who answers the phone will ask you questions to assess what type of assistance you're seeking and schedule your first appointment with the appropriate professional at Employee and Family Resources, the contracted provider for Iowa State's employee assistance program.

If you prefer an in-person counseling session, they'll schedule it with me. Sessions typically are about 45 minutes long. During our first appointment, I'll do a full assessment to find out what your needs are. We'll schedule a second appointment, if needed. We can use up to six free sessions, per issue, for assessment and brief counseling; some people's issues are resolved after two or three sessions. Together, we would determine if you need to continue with a specific type of therapy. My job is to provide referrals that give you options.

Lots of help

Counseling isn't the only service offered in the Employee Assistance Program. Legal or financial consultations, life coaching, referrals for child and elder care, and identify theft recovery assistance also are available at no cost. Learn more in this video.

Will Iowa State know I've sought EAP services?

Smith: No. Our services are confidential. All clients go through our system as a number. The numbers are kept for utilization purposes. In fact, that's how a second day of on-campus counseling was added.

I'm a bit anxious about asking for help. Any suggestions?

Smith: I see more and more clients in their first encounter with counseling. So, showing up that first time, letting me ask questions about what you want help with, is the way we get started. For anyone who has been thinking about counseling, I'd encourage you to try at least one session to see what it's like and if you find it helpful. I love working with both adolescents and adults, including couples and families.

The EAP is a fabulous program and a simple way for people to start with mental health counseling.

Why did Iowa State request an on-campus counseling option?

Ed Holland, ISU benefits director: We know that mental health wellness is a growing concern within and outside the workplace. We promote several resources available to Iowa State employees, including EAP, because we believe employees who are encouraged to live well outside of the workplace often work even better in the workplace. Our EAP benefits stimulate a healthier work environment and support a culture of wellness. Reducing any barriers to accessing the services -- such as offering more on-site counseling sessions -- can only benefit our employees.

An additional note: Employee Family Resources has offices in downtown Des Moines and West Des Moines if urgency, your location or day-of-week preference better suits one of those sites. Virtual counseling sessions and a hybrid combination are options.