Five questions for the commencement announcer

monroe

Hollis Monroe, the primary commencement announcer at Iowa State graduation ceremonies for 25 years, at the podium during a rehearsal for President Wendy Wintersteen's 2018 installation ceremony. Photo by Christopher Gannon.

The basics

Name: Hollis Monroe
Position: Commencement announcer
Years in role: 25
Education: Bachelor's degree in vocal performance, Marycrest College, Davenport

Spring is lighter on pomp and heavier on circumstance this year, as coronavirus social distancing forces Iowa State to honor its newest graduates in a prerecorded online ceremony instead of the customary commencement. One aspect of graduation that will remain in the virtual version is the voice of Hollis Monroe, the former on-air producer at WOI Radio who has been the university's primary commencement announcer for 25 years. Monroe talked with Inside Iowa State this week about the long-standing role, which includes reading the names of more than 70,000 graduating students over a quarter century.

Is it satisfying to play a part in such a joyful time for students?

Oh, very much so. I take the extra time. Initially, one of the things I'd do -- and that I continue to do -- is call the students ahead of time who have names that are difficult to pronounce, especially the doctoral and master's students, and say, "Hi, I'm Hollis Monroe, and I'm the speaker for your commencement. By the way, congratulations. I just figured that after all your hard work, time, effort and money, the least we can do is get your name right as you walk across the stage." They're usually quite pleased with that. There are very few to call now. I speak several languages, so I'm fairly conversant, and I've said so many names over and over again that I recognize them. As the commencement ceremony has evolved, a lot of the students provide pronouncers.

Is it an intriguing challenge when you come across a name you know is going to be tough?

Yes, especially with the undergraduates. Many undergraduates don't submit pronouncers. Some of them have their name just hand-written on a card, and they get it in at the last minute. You have a split second to look at it, pronounce it and hand it to the photographer's assistant who keeps all the cards in order, and you're on to the next one. And there's just a beat in between each one. Someone asked me once how I know if I get a name right and I said that generally if the family applauds, you got close. I've had names that are jawbusters come up where you take the card, say it right, and the student turns around, smiles and shakes my hand. 

Why is it important to celebrate graduating students?

To students, this is an acknowledgement of all their hard work, their effort over the past years and the efforts of their families and friends who supported them. It's the moment of recognition of all they've accomplished at Iowa State. It's recognition that they're an important part of the university and its history, and they're going to carry that with them wherever they go. For the university, it's an acknowledgement of the most important role the university plays. This is its main job, educating these young people and this next generation of leaders.  

How did you participate in the virtual ceremony?

Actually, I did some reading for the announcements at the podium, where it would take place, for the ambience. "Good evening, and welcome to the spring commencement ceremony for Iowa State University for 2020," and then on from there. Then all the names, I did from a booth. They had a booth set up, very clean and wiped down, where I read all the names. 

Did you take part in your own college commencement?

I have to admit, I was on the other side of the coin. I went for two and a half years, and then I ran out of money, worked for two years, then went back and finished up for another two and a half years. I said, "Mom it's been seven years, they can just mail it to me." My mother, all 4 foot-10 of her, walked up to me and said, "Boy, I've waited seven years for this. You're going to walk across that stage, you're going to shake that white man's hand, he's going to hand you that diploma and I'm going to get it on film, you understand me?" I said, "Yeah, Mom, I better get a robe." I know a lot of people would prefer not to participate, but once they're there, they're glad they did.