Canvas training options begin in September
The Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT) and information technology are offering several opportunities this fall to help the campus community prepare for the new Canvas learning management system.
"We're pleased to provide a broad range of resources for faculty and instructional staff to help them get acquainted with Canvas and to transition their courses for the spring semester," said CELT interim director Sara Marcketti. "The transition also is a great opportunity to redesign courses and get the most out of our new technology."
Workshops hosted by Canvas
Canvas trainer Erin Wasson will visit campus Sept. 5-6 to lead a series that will help faculty and staff transition to the new system. All sessions will be held in 206 Durham. CELT staff also will host webcasts of the workshops (in 253 Durham on Sept. 5 and 116 Durham on Sept. 6). Participants should register via Learn@ISU for these options:
Tuesday, Sept. 5
- 8-9:30 a.m., Modules and files management
- 10-11:30 a.m., Communication and collaboration
- 1-2:30 p.m., Assignments and discussions
- 3-4:30 p.m., Grading and assessment
Wednesday, Sept. 6
- 8-9:30 a.m., Assignments and discussions
- 10-11:30 a.m., Grading and assessment
- 1-2:30 p.m., Quizzes and question banks
- 3-4:30 p.m., Modules and files management
Participants who prefer to view the workshops on their own may access unique links to each one on the Iowa State MyCanvas Training website. Recordings of each also will be available on the training website following the event.
Workshops hosted by CELT
Staff from CELT's Online Learning Innovation Hub will facilitate other workshops in September and October to introduce key features of the Canvas platform. The following topics each will be offered twice, from 12:10 p.m. to 1 p.m. in 2015 Morrill:
- Canvas overview, Monday, Sept. 18 and 25
- Communication, Wednesday, Sept. 20 and 27
- Quizzes, Thursday, Sept. 21 and 28
- Gradebook, Friday, Sept. 22 and 29
Open labs for instruction and support
CELT also is offering open lab sessions, during which faculty, staff and teaching/graduate students may receive information and support related to quality course design and effective teaching practices in Canvas.
Through November, the sessions will be held Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays (8-10 a.m. and 1-4 p.m., Parks Library rotunda). There won't be open labs Sept. 5-6 due to the workshops.