New takes on familiar titles highlight free movie series
The Student Union Board's Cyclone Cinema will be at home again this fall in 101 Carver. Feature films with recent theater runs but typically prior to their DVD release dates are shown twice a night (7 and 10 p.m.) Thursday through Sunday. Admission is free and the public is welcome.
The fall lineup includes continuing stories of popular titles -- "Cars," "Despicable Me," "Spider-Man" and "Guardians of the Galaxy" -- as well as new takes on a few known franchises: "Baywatch," "Wonder Woman" and novelist Stephen King's "It."
George Micalone, director of student activities for the Memorial Union, said last year was a record-setter for Cyclone Cinema. Attendance surpassed 30,000, shattering the previous record by about 4,000 movie-goers.
Cyclone Cinema's Sunday screenings will include captions. Requests for captions at other screenings should be made to one of the student volunteers before the movie begins.
If snacks make your movie night better, bring a few dollars. The Cyclone Cinema concession stand sells popcorn (butter or kettle) and several varieties of boxed candies for $2, and bottled Coke products and water for $1.
Fall 2017 movie schedule:
- Aug. 24-27, "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" (rated PG-13), stars Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana
- Aug. 31-Sept. 3, "Baywatch" (R), Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron
- Sept. 7-10, "The Big Sick" (R), Kumail Nanjiani and Zoe Kazan
- Sept. 14-17, "Wonder Woman" (PG-13), Gal Gadot and Chris Pine
- Sept. 21-24, "Baby Driver" (R), Ansel Elgort and Kevin Spacey
- Sept. 28-Oct. 1, "Cars 3" (animated, G), voices of Owen Wilson and Cristela Alonzo
- Oct. 5-8, "The Hitman's Bodyguard" (R), Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson
- Oct. 12-15, "Spider-Man Homecoming" (PG-13), Tom Holland and Michael Keaton
- Oct. 19-22, "Despicable Me 3" (animated, PG), voices of Steve Carell and Kristen Wiig
- Oct. 26-29, "The Dark Tower" (PG-13), Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughy
- Nov. 2-5, "Atomic Blonde" (R), Charlize Theron and James McAvoy
- Nov. 9-12, "Dunkirk" (PG-13), Fionn Whitehead and Tom Glynn-Carney
- Nov. 16-17 only, "Logan Lucky" (PG-13), Channing Tatum and Adam Driver
- Nov. 23-26, fall break
- Nov. 30-Dec. 3, "It" (R), Bill Skarsgård and Jaeden Lieberher