In 2020, the landscape on the west side of campus will include the Student Innovation Center. Situated on Bissell Road, south of Sweeney Hall, the eye-catching glass building will be a central hub for multidisciplinary student collaboration.
The building (about 140,000 square feet) will house an auditorium and some classrooms, but also will include:
- Meeting rooms and breakout spaces
- Fabrication areas (from electronics, to woodworking, to textiles, and more)
- Open study space
- Collaboration space (indoor and outdoor)
- Seating areas
- Administrative areas (for onsite staff)
- Student organization offices
- A test kitchen
- A store (selling products that are made at the center)
- A café
Nearly half of the $84 million project will come from state appropriations, with the balance made up of private gifts.