Special Olympics venues
- Beyer Hall pool
- Forker Building
- Forker tennis courts
- Hilton Coliseum
- Iowa State Center parking lots
- Lied Center
- Lied fields
- MWL fields
The Iowa Special Olympics summer games return to Ames May 19-21 with events and activities in several campus venues. Hundreds of Iowa Staters -- staff, faculty and students -- serve as volunteers for the event, which boasts more than 2,600 competitors and 1,200 coaches.
All events, including Thursday's opening ceremonies (7-9 p.m., Hilton Coliseum), are free and open to the public.
All volunteers must check in Thursday and Friday at the tent in lot S8, east of Jack Trice Stadium. Volunteers are asked to use the bus shuttles, which run from lot S8 to the competition venues on Thursday and Friday. Shuttles will not operate on Saturday and volunteer check-in moves to the Lied Center.
- Beach Road: Closed to through traffic from Lincoln Way to the power plant, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Thursday and Friday
- South Fourth Street: Closed from Beach Avenue to just west of entrance to stadium parking lots, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday
Parking lot closures
- Beyer Hall: Lot 3, Friday (all day); open only to 24-hour Reserve or handicap permit holders
- Forker Building: Lot 50A, Thursday and Friday (all day); open only to 24-hour Reserve and handicap permit holders
- Iowa State Center: All lots, Thursday (12:01 a.m.-5 p.m.); commuter parking will move to the football stadium parking lots and CyRide will be routed through lots S4-S6
- Lied Center: Lots 57 and 100, Thursday and Friday (all day, all vehicles)
- Maple-Willow-Larch residence area: Lots 56, 63, 80, 89, 90 and 91, Thursday and Friday (all day); open only to Special Olympics or handicap permit holders
- Richardson Court residence area: Lots 54, 54A, 66, 67, 82, 83, Thursday and Friday (all day); open only to Special Olympics or handicap permit holders