Foreman named equal opportunity director

Margo Foreman, associate director of the office of equal opportunity at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis, will become Iowa State University's next director of equal opportunity. Foreman will start at Iowa State April 25.

Margo Foreman

Margo Foreman

"Ms. Foreman is highly regarded for her unwavering commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion," President Steven Leath said. "Her experience and credentials will be an asset to the university as we strive to create a welcoming, inclusive and safe environment for everyone."

In her new post at Iowa State, Foreman will manage equal opportunity, affirmative action, discrimination, harassment and sexual misconduct programs and serve as the university's Title IX coordinator.

"The university mission fits inside my own personal mission, my career ideals about making the world around me a better place," Foreman said. "I fell in love with the idea of being a member of an organization where I can practice, grow and help to create positive changes. I believe Iowa State University is the organization and community where I can make that happen."

During her first few months on the job, Foreman said she will ask university community members what they see as equal opportunity priorities on campus. She noted that her role is "to initiate partnerships and collaborative relationships across campus so equal opportunity, equity, and affirmative action can be embraced."

Foreman has served the IUPUI office of equal opportunity for 17 years. After starting as executive secretary to the director, she moved on to positions as equal opportunity specialist, assistant director of diverse workforce recruitment and retention, and associate director of the office.

Foreman earned a bachelor's degree in general studies with a concentration in social behavior science (2005), and a master's degree in public health (2013), both from IUPUI.

Mary Sirna, administrative adviser for ISU police, has been serving as interim EO director since October.