In connection with Iowa State's Symposium on Sustainability later this month, organizers are seeking nominees for the university's annual sustainability awards and poster presentations.
Those planning to attend symposium events are asked to register online by 7 p.m. Feb. 23.
The awards and posters are a traditional part of the Symposium on Sustainability, which takes place Feb. 25 in the Memorial Union. In its fifth year, the annual celebration promotes green initiatives throughout the university community.
"This event recognizes and celebrates the collective dedication and commitment of all faculty, staff and students to sustainability at Iowa State University… whether through research, events, operational efficiency, or giving back to the community," said sustainability director Merry Rankin. "We hope many will attend the symposium and, in the next couple of weeks, nominate a worthy individual or group for a Live Green Award or submit a poster idea.
"The poster session is popular with symposium goers," Rankin added. "Last year, we had 50 posters on all kinds of topics from sustainability of food systems to green cleaning to sustainable art."
Submitting poster proposals
Any individuals or groups involved in sustainability projects are encouraged to present posters at the symposium. See the "Call for Posters (PDF) for details. Poster submission forms (doc) are due Feb. 17.
Submitting award nominations
The Live Green! Awards for Excellence in Sustainability recognize faculty, staff, students and groups that promote campus sustainability through teaching, research, outreach or operations. See this year's selection criteria (PDF). Award nomination forms (doc) are due Feb. 17.
Upcycle your old T-shirts
Another way to participate in the symposium is to donate old T-shirts. At one of the evening "green-it-yourself" centers, they'll recycle T-shirts into bags. To donate, drop shirts off at Rankin's office, 108 General Services, prior to the symposium or bring them to the event.
- 8-9 p.m. Lecture: Alan Weisman, author of "Countdown: Our Last Best Hope for a Future on Earth?" will give a talk on the same subject, MU Great Hall
Feb. 25 (MU Sun Room/South Ballroom)
- 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Sustainability Poster Session
- Noon-1 p.m., Symposium Registration
- 1-4:20 p.m., Welcome by executive VP and provost Jonathan Wickert, panel presentation, campus sustainability visioning forum discussion
- 4:20-5 p.m., Live Green Excellence Awards Ceremony
- 5-6 p.m., Awards reception
- 5-8 p.m., Sustainapalooza: Green-it-Yourself Centers (urban gardening, green transportation, upcycling, and waste diversion), Live Green! Carpet, sustainability-minded giveaways