Nine College of Design students or recent graduates are among 20 Emerging Iowa Artists who will exhibit their work at the Des Moines Arts Festival, June 28-30 in the downtown Western Gateway Park.
Now in its 11th year, the Emerging Iowa Artists program provides an opportunity for young visual artists to showcase their talents at one of the nation’s top arts festivals, which attracts more than 200,000 visitors.
Students from Iowa State this year are Amber Forbes, Underwood, senior in integrated studio arts; and integrated visual arts graduate students Amanda Hall, Ames, and Sodam Lee, Chunansi, South Korea.
Recent graduates include:
- Clark Colby III, Urbandale, Bachelor of Architecture, 2011
- Dillon Baker, Des Moines, Bachelor of of Fine Arts in integrated studio arts, 2012
- Kristen Greteman, Des Moines, Bachelor of Architecture, 2011
- Desiree Becker, Ames, Bachelor of Fine Arts in integrated studio arts, 2012
- Peter Kasper, Tiffin, Bachelor of Fine Arts in integrated studio arts, 2012
- Arty Vongphakdy, Sioux City, Bachelor of Fine Arts in integrated studio arts, 2012
Two other ISU alumni -- Carrie Hoffnagle, Minneapolis (2006, integrated studio arts and journalism/mass communication), and Chris Vance, Bondurant (2000, visual studies) -- are among the 185 professional artists chosen to participate in the Des Moines Arts Festival this summer.
Admission to the arts festival is free. Festival hours are:
- Friday, June 28: 11 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Saturday, June 29: 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Sunday, June 30: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.