Honors and awards
Make it 10: Purchasing department receives excellence award
ISU Purchasing has earned the Achievement of Excellence in Procurement Award for the 10th consecutive year from the National Procurement Institute. The award measures achievement in innovation, professionalism, productivity, e-procurement and leadership in procurement. Iowa State is one of only 23 higher education agencies in the country to receive the award this year.
Bix book receives research award
Associate history professor Amy Bix's book on women's access to engineering education has received the Betty Vetter Award for Research from the Women in Engineering ProActive Network. Girls Coming to Tech!: A History of American Engineering Education for Women was published this year by MIT Press.
Communications staff receive ACE Awards
The following College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and ISU Extension and Outreach communications staff have received ACE awards (Association for Communication Excellence in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Life and Human Sciences):
- Barb McBreen and Brian Meyer received the gold award for promotional writing for the displays in the Monsanto Student Services wing and the Brenton Center wing of Curtiss Hall.
- McBreen, Meyer and Scott Helms of PUSH Branding and Design received the silver award for graphic design (exhibits) for the same displays.
- Melea Licht received the silver award for graphic design (print one to full color) for the fall 2013 issue of “STORIES in Agriculture and Life Science.”
- McBreen received the bronze award for script writing for the “It’s About Life” video, originally used for the Iowa Hall of Fame agriculture exhibit.
- Jane Lenahan and Carol Ouverson of ISU Extension and Outreach received the bronze award for publishing (one to full-color popular publications) for the 2013 garden calendar.
- Lenahan and Ouverson also received the silver award for diversity in targeted publications.
White named fellow of food science institute
Pam White, dean of the College of Human Sciences and University Professor in food science and human nutrition, was named a fellow of the Institute of Food Technologists. The honor is bestowed on institute members who demonstrate exemplary professionalism in the field of food science.
Baker recieves achievement award
David Baker, farm transition specialist with ISU Extension and Outreach and the Beginning Farmer Center, has been awarded the achievement award for exemplary performance in working with the next generation of agricultural producers from the National Association of County Agricultural Agents for the State of Iowa.
Special Olympics Iowa honors ISU employees
Special Olympics Iowa honored several ISU employees with university volunteer awards at the 2014 summer games. Judi Eyles (program coordinator, Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development Center), Maura Flaschner (program coordinator, admissions), Curt Purdum (project schedule coordinator, facilities planning and management) and Paul Quam (custodian, residence) were cited for their service above and beyond their normal position responsibilities.
Wintersteen named to binational fund's board
Wendy Wintersteen, endowed dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, has been appointed to the board of directors of the U.S.-Israel Binational Agricultural Research and Development Fund by U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack. She is one of three Americans serving the organization’s board.
Madison receives achievement award
Dean of the library Olivia Madison has been honored with the Ross Atkinson Lifetime Achievement Award by the Association for Collections & Technical Services, a division of the American Library Association. The award recognizes extraordinary service to both associations and the library community at large.