Iowa State is beginning its search for the next dean of the University Library.
Senior vice president and provost Jonathan Wickert said the library has maintained its positive momentum and adjusted its budget in important ways since associate dean Hilary Seo became interim dean in July 2019.
"As interim dean, Hilary Seo has worked with the library's faculty and staff and partners across campus to continue creating innovative programs and serving the needs of our community, even amid a global pandemic," he said.
Recent library initiatives include adopting additional open educational resources, opening the collaboration commons on the first floor, negotiating new publisher agreements, collaborating with student financial aid and information technology on a laptop loaner program for students and serving as a campus leader with regard to diversity, equity and inclusion.
The search committee, co-chaired by Laura Jolly, dean of the College of Human Sciences; and Bill Graves, dean of the Graduate College, will begin its assignment immediately and work with a search firm to identify candidates. Penni Bryant, administrative specialist in the provost's office, will assist the committee. Additional members of the search committee are (all are library employees unless noted):
- Erin Anderson, librarian I
- Ellie Field, president of the Graduate and Professional Student Senate
- Morgan Fritz, president of Student Government
- Jesse Garrison, librarian II
- Brad Kuennen, library specialist
- Jeff Kushkowski, professor
- Lorrie Pellack, professor and interim associate dean
- Nacuya Rucker, communications manager
- Geoff Sauer, associate professor of English and chair of the Library Advisory Committee
- Steph Scherbart, library assistant IV
- Lisa Smith, IT systems senior manager
- Jonathan Sturm, professor of music
- Brent Swanson, budget and finance manager