In the midst of an unprecedented spring semester, and with only 10 days notice, Iowa State's faculty transitioned more than 6,000 courses to virtual instruction, ensuring students would maintain progress on their Cyclone degrees.
In celebration of these efforts, the office of the senior vice president and provost recognized 36 faculty with spring 2020 Teaching Innovation Awards, which includes a one-time $1,000 award. Funding for the program was provided by a generous (and anonymous) donor to support faculty excellence.
"We are proud to celebrate the unsung heroes among our faculty who made the spring semester a success," said Dawn Bratsch-Prince, associate provost for faculty. "These individuals went above and beyond to serve our students, modifying their courses and pedagogy in novel ways and achieving strong course learning outcomes."
Additional information about each faculty member's accomplishments is on the provost's office website.
Here's a summary of a few outstanding faculty efforts.
- Joanna Schroeder, assistant teaching professor in the Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication, developed an online internship course to help more than 60 students fulfill their required internship experience.
- Nancy Boury, assistant professor in plant pathology and microbiology, translated the real-time epidemiology of COVID-19 into evidence-based lessons for students.
- Aliye Karabulut-Ilgu, assistant teaching professor, helped her department -- civil, construction and environmental engineering -- quickly transition 10 courses serving 600 students. This included redeveloping instructional materials and training instructors.
- Michael Lyons, associate teaching professor in biomedical sciences, worked with the BMS 448 instructional team to help students virtually dissect human anatomy.
The faculty Teaching Innovation Award recipients, by college, are:
Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Nancy Boury, assistant professor, plant pathology and microbiology
- Kathrine Gilbert, associate teaching professor, food science and human nutrition
- Cynthia Haynes, associate professor, horticulture
- Jelena Kraft, assistant teaching professor, genetics, development and cell biology
- Saxon Ryan, assistant teaching professor, agricultural and biosystems engineering
- John Burnley, professor of practice, information systems and business analytics
- Christine Denison, associate professor accounting
- Bruce Kraft, professor of practice, finance
- Tingting Liu, assistant professor, finance
- Abhay Mishra, associate professor, information systems and business analytics
- Beatriz Pereira, assistant professor, marketing
- Kayla Sander, teaching professor, accounting
- Raluca Iancu, assistant professor, art and visual culture
- Jen Heinen, teaching professor, chemical and biological engineering
- Phillip Jones, associate professor, electrical and computer engineering
- Aliye Karabulut-Ilgu, assistant teaching professor, civil, construction and environmental engineering
- Joshua Peschel, assistant professor, agricultural and biosystems engineering
- Diane Rover, University Professor, electrical and computer engineering
- Christina Campbell, associate professor, food science and human nutrition
- Bria Jenkins, assistant teaching professor, apparel, events and hospitality management
- E. Andrew Pitchford, assistant professor, kinesiology
- Amy Popillion, teaching professor, human development and family studies
- Ken Prusa, professor, food science and human nutrition
- Noreen Rodriguez, assistant professor, School of Education
- Kira Werstein, associate teaching professor, kinesiology
Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Abram Anders, associate professor, English
- Lori Biederman, adjunct associate professor, ecology, evolution and organismal biology
- Fabiana DePaula, assistant teaching professor, world languages and cultures
- Katie Fulton, associate teaching professor, English
- Carly Manz, assistant teaching professor, genetics, development and cell biology
- Megan Myers, associate professor, world languages and cultures
- Sara Pistolesi, associate teaching professor, chemistry
- Joanna Schroeder, assistant teaching professor, Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication
- Michael Wigton, associate teaching professor, Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication
- Michael Lyons, associate teaching professor, biomedical sciences
- Eric Rowe, associate professor, biomedical sciences