Special Olympics venues
- Beyer Hall (swimming)
- Forker Building (developmental events)
- Forker courts (tennis)
- Hansen Ag Student Learning Center (rain location only)
- Hilton Coliseum (opening ceremony)
- Iowa State Center parking lots (cycling)
- Lied Center (track and field)
- Lied fields (soccer, track and field)
- Maple-Willow-Larch recreation fields (bocce)
Select campus parking lots and roads will close to accommodate the annual Special Olympics Iowa summer games May 23-25. More than 2,500 athletes will compete in Iowa State venues, accompanied by hundreds of volunteers, coaches and family members.
Events include bocce, cycling, soccer, swimming, tennis, and track and field. The opening ceremony is Thursday, May 23, in Hilton Coliseum (7-9 p.m.). Spectators are welcome, and admission is free.
- Beach Road: Closed to through traffic from Lincoln Way to the power plant, 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Thursday and Friday
- South Fourth Street: Closed from Beach Avenue to just west of entrance to stadium parking lots, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday
Parking lot closures
Portions of lot 100, south of the Lied Center, will close on Tuesday, May 21, for event preparations.
Parking lot closures later in the week include:
- Beyer Hall: Lot 3, Friday (all day); open only to 24-hour reserve and handicap permit holders
- Forker Building: Lot 50A, Thursday and Friday (all day); open only to 24-hour reserve and handicap permit holders
- Iowa State Center: All lots between Center Drive and South Fourth Street, Thursday only (12:01 a.m.-5 p.m.); commuter parking will move to the football stadium parking lots. CyRide will stop for riders at lots S3, S4 and S5.
- Lied Center: Lots 57 and 100, Thursday and Friday (all day, all vehicles)
- Maple-Willow-Larch residence area: Lots 56, 63, 80, 89, 90 and 91, Thursday and Friday (all day); open only to Special Olympics or handicap permit holders
- Richardson Court residence area: Lots 54, 54A, 66, 67, 82, 83, Thursday and Friday (all day); open only to Special Olympics or handicap permit holders
Volunteer check-in is Thursday and Friday in lot S6, east of Jack Trice Stadium. Volunteers and visitors are asked to use the shuttles, which run from lot S6 to the competition venues on Thursday and Friday. Shuttles will not operate on Saturday, and volunteer check-in moves to the Lied Center.