The ISU Alumni Association and the ISU Foundation will give the university's highest awards to 10 individuals and one business during the annual Distinguished Awards Celebration on Friday, April 11 (1:30 p.m., Sun Room, Memorial Union). All are invited to attend.
Awards are given each spring to alumni and friends of Iowa State. The 2014 award recipients are listed below:
Alumni association awards
Distinguished Alumni Award
- Cynthia Clark (M.S. 1973, Ph.D. 1977), chief administrator, National Agricultural Statistics Service. Clark resides in Washington, D.C.
- Stephen Juelsgaard (D.V.M. 1972, M.S. 1975), executive vice president, Genentech Inc. (retired). Juelsgaard lives in Woodside, Calif.
- Gerald Kolschowsky (B.S. 1962), chairman and co-CEO, OSI Industries (retired). Kolschowsky resides in Sarasota, Fla.
- Simin Nikbin Meydani (Ph.D. 1981), professor of nutrition, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy; professor of immunology, Tufts Sackler Graduate School; director, Nutritional Immunology Laboratory; and director, Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University. Meydani lives in Boston.
Honorary Alumni Award
- Jeff and Deb Hansen, founders of Iowa Select Farms, a pork production company headquartered in Iowa Falls. The couple lives in West Des Moines.
- John Pesek Jr., emeritus professor of agronomy and the Charles F. Curtiss Distinguished Professor in Agriculture and Life Sciences. Pesek resides in Ames.
Order of the Knoll Corporate and Foundation Award
Order of the Knoll Cardinal and Gold Award
- Jon Fleming (B.S. 1975), gastroenterologist, McFarland Clinic and Mary Greeley Medical Center (retired). Fleming resides in Ames.
Order of the Knoll Campanile Award
- Michael (B.S. 1959) and Jean (B.S. 1960) Steffenson. Michael is chairman, president and CEO of Parr Instrument Company. Jean is active in numerous civic programs. The couple resides in Davenport.